Thursday, March 18, 2010

3/18/10

http://sivers.org/ff

In leadership, we watched this one video about a crazy guy that starts dancing, and it eventually turns into a "movement" or whatever. The url is above! But yeah, we had to write this bloggy reflection and I decided, hey, why not just post what I wrote onto my blog? kekeke.

After watching this video, I definitely had a lot going through my head about how this applies to me. Many people have labeled me as a “leader” my whole life, and I think that I have come to accept that “leadership” qualities that have been identified in other people as a part of myself. I guess, in my current state of teen angst and rebellion, it’s hard to see if that part of my own character exists within me.

This senior year has been quite interesting because of that. My dream of being a class officer was realized. I was a public official, and therefore, easy to follow. However, I started to see that my previous ideas of being a leader did not apply at all. I started to question myself: am I truly a leader? Or am I just a follower that happened to end up with friends that are involved in these school activities? I spoke up less and less in class, and my previous goal of getting my teacher to become BFFs with me faded into a new goal of breezing through my classes as a “quiet Asian girl” that nobody remembers after a couple of years. I guess this crazy transformation that I am currently going through is a little, well, crazy, but it’s hard to get myself out of this slump.

One thing that definitely know is that, however much I would like to deny my leadership qualities, I want my voice to be heard. I want to see my own dreams become realities, and what better way to do that than to get a bunch of other people to do it with you? I guess this is the un-glorified definition of a leader: a crazy person that has the insatiable need to be followed, liked, and well-received by his/her peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment